ENNISTYMON TOLL HOUSE a small house, with three steps going down to it, was located on the bridge near Doherty's Corner. Ennistymon bridge and tollhouse date back to the 1700s when tolls were charged for river crossing.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1855, it was unoccupied and recorded as #12 Old Town Street (a house an yard valued at £2).
From the late 19th century, it was known as Devitts Drapery. Tommy Devitt was a tailor and lived there with his wife, Kate Carran, and family.
In 1920 Devitt's was burned by the RIC and British Forces in retaliation for the Rineen Ambush.
The toll house was demolished as car traffic began to increase on the bridge.