The Omagh Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £7,900. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Omagh Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Athenry, Beragh, Camderry, Camowen, Carrickmore, Clanabogan, Creggan, Derrybard, Dervaghroy, Dromore, Drumquin, Dunbreen, Fallaghearn, Fintona, Gornascreagh, Greenan, Killyclogher, Leskinore, Loughmacrory, Loughmuck, Mountfield, Mounjoy Forest, Mullagharn, Mullaghslin, Omagh, Six-mile-cross, Tattymole, and Tullyclunagh.
Many of the Omagh Workhouse buildings were demolished but there are some features still standing as part of the Omagh General Hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|