BallyhouraCounty Limerick

Share This:
Palatine Houses - Ballyorgan
Palatine Houses - Ballyorgan

Travelling from Ballyorgan to Ardpatrick, you will find two fine examples of Palatine houses on the left-hand side of the road. These were built in 1840 by the lord of Castle Oliver for the Palatine who worked the land.

The Palatine house on the left is now owned by the County Council and was restored recently by local men Denis OConnell and Liam Gammell. The house is lended to various artists.

It is interesting to note that there is only one door to the house, even though two families used to live there.

Maguy Paulton who passed away in the 1990s was the last occupant of the house. The house enjoys magnificent views of the countryside.

*The house is now an “artist in residence” property through Limerick City and County Council and they can be viewed from the outside but are not accessible to the public.

Type of Building:

Educational

Communities Associated with this Building