The Picture House (originally the Grafton Picture House) cinema opened on 11 April 1911. Designed by architect, Richard Francis Caulfield Orpen (brother of the painter, William Orpen.) Dublin's first "talking pictures" were demonstrated here in April 1914 when Thomas Edison's Kinetophone technology was demonstrated at the Grafton. "Man of Aran" premièred here on 6 May 1934. The cinema operated for 60 years.