Presbyterianism in Ireland and in Scotland had various schisms and these led to the creation of secession churches. Portglenone was one such. It was created in the 1820s and functioned until 1910 when it closed and its members joined other Presbyterian congregations in the area.
The derelict church was demolished in 1998 but the graveyard remains in use, and there is a plaque marking the spot where the church stood.
PRONI has baptism and marriage records for this church covering the years 1821 to 1910. There is a gap in the baptisms from 1868 to 1880.