Upon the opening of the railway, canal boats ceased all passenger traffic between Dublin and Enfield. Passengers travelling west used the train to Enfield and transferred to the canal in the town. With the canal and the railway having stop over points in Enfield, this contributed to the development of the area.
The line was extended to Hill of Down by the end of 1847 and to Mullingar in October 1848. In 1877, a branch line from Nesbitt Junction (about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of Enfield) toEdenderry was opened. The Edenderry branch line and Enfield station closed in 1963, although there had been no regular passenger service to Edenderry since 1931.
Signalman Fred McDonagh inside Enfield Signal Cabin on April 10 1965.
Passenger services from Enfield resumed in 1988.