The old Church of Rath Bóirne aka Rathborney Parish church was built inside “the Rath of Burren" for which it was named. It has a large burial place attached to it where some remains of this ancient rath can be found. It also includes several crude grave markers of unknown date.
Except for the lower part of the east and north walls (which date back to early Irish work) "Rayth" is a late Gothic building of circa A.D. 1500 when the smaller earlier church was almost completely rebuilt. The founder of the earlier Christian church is unknown.
See also: Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839