The Rathdrum Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,800. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Rathdrum Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Arklow, Aughrim, Castlemacadam, Dunganstown, Glendalough, Glenealy, Kilbride, Killiskely, Newcastle, Rathdrum, Roundwood, and Wicklow.
During the worst years of the Great Famine, extensions were put in place to accomodate an additional 200 inmates.
The Rathdrum Workhouse was demolished in the 1970's. None of the original buildings now survive and the site has been redeveloped.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wicklow Family History Centre||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Workhouse Registers||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|