The lighthouse is painted red to indicate the 'port side' for shipping. It was built in 1768 and a redesign took place in the early 1800s.
This lighthouse operates as part of a network of three - another lighthouse situated on the north wall is painted green while the third operates mid-channel. Unlike others in the country, this lighthouse is operated by Dublin Port Company, not the Commissioners of Irish Lights. The building is 20m high and constructed from limestone.
|Curious Ireland - The Red Lighthouse||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|