The Richmond District Asylum was built in 1815 as a national asylum to receive curable lunatics from throughout the island of Ireland.
- It was named after the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland - Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond.
In 1830 it was renamed the Richmond District Lunatic Asylum and its catchment area was defined as the city and county of Dublin, the counties of Wicklow, Louth, Meath, and the town of Drogheda.
During WWI the Richmond War Hospital was established in the hospital grounds here.
In 1925 the main facility became the Grangegorman Mental Hospital in 1925.
In 1958 it became known as St. Brendan's Hospital.
It is now the site of a modern mental health facility known as the Phoenix Care Centre.