The Richmond Surgical Hospital was built in 1815 on the site of a 17th-century Benedictine convent.
- Here, the first operation in Ireland using Chloroform took place.
The "new" Richmond Hospital building aka "the Old Richmond" was built in 1897 and officially opened on Saturday, 20th April 1901.
It was at the forefront of surgical care in Ireland until it closed in 1987.
From 1996 this building was used as a courthouse which continued for many years.
In 2013, the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) purchased the building to repurpose it as an education and event centre for its members. It is now known as the Richmond Education and Event Centre since it opened in 2018.
|Richmond Education and Event Centre||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|