Seeking confirmation of the exact location of...
ROCKWOOD HOUSE (no longer extant) near the village of Cooladra in the townland of Kilnacloghy or Shanballymore.
Rockwood (between Strokestown and Lanesborough, in the Barony of Ballintubber Co Roscommon) in the 1830s was recorded as "Rockwood otherwise Shanballymore". The 1854 Court Order for sale of Morton lands records it as "Rockwood otherwise Culnaclough" i.e. Kilnacloghy (Rockwood is a direct translation of Coill na Cloch ... the Wood of Rock or Stoney Wood).
In 1830, Shanballymore was occupied by Mr Andrew Gilhooley who was Agent to Charles O'Neil and Francis Featherston. Esqrs. In 1842, Andrew Gilhooley was residing at Ashfield House (in the townland of Lisnamuck) Co. Longford.
In November 1829, Gilhooley was "obliged to turn out several tenants who would neither pay rent nor give up their holdings". In April 1830, in presumed retaliation, two of his cow houses at Shanballymore were set on fire in and totally consumed to include a number of cattle within. [Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - 1 May 1830]
In 1836 Rockwood was occupied by John Roach, Gentleman, £10 Freeholder with a house and land at Shanballymore. [Roscommon Journal, 8 October 1836] who was succeeded by Patrick Roach of Rockwood, farmer, £10 Freeholder [Roscommon Journal 13 June 1840].
In 1860, "Rockwood, Lanesborough" is given as an address when the interest in the lease to "a most desirable farm of land and residence" at Shanballymore is offered for sale by Mrs Gilhooley of Ashfield, the landlord being MARCUS M CAUSLAND, ESQ.
Shanballymore is situated on the banks of the River Shannon, 1 mile from Lanesboro', 5 from Roscommon, 8 from Longford, and on it stands a comfortable residence and first class range of Offices slated, it commands a splendid view of the River Shannon and lands, and is right opposite the Plantation and Demesne of Rathcline; the Land of First Class Quality, principally all Meadow Land, and only about 10 Acres of Tillage the whole Farm, there is also a First class Brickyard and Tillery on the Farm, the Bricks made on it for durability cannot be surpassed, and is well worth the attention of capitalists. The Farm is a most profitable investment and most desirable residence for a Gentleman or Farmer, it is principally let in grazing and conacre. Immediate possession can be given together with clear and bona fide assignment of the Lease and interest thereon to the purchaser. For further particulars apply to Mrs. M. Gilhooly, Rockwood, or to SIMON GREENE, Auctioneer and Valuator. Roscommon, 6th August 1860 [Roscommon Messenger - 11 August 1860]
This could be the point at which Dr Henry McManus of Co. Longford and his wife Margaret Moreton of Bogwood took up residence at Rockwood.
MARRIED August 4, 1868, in Lanesborough Church, by the Rev. W. J. Ireland, Vicar of Rathcline, Richard Alex Lynden, of Ballyclare, to Anna Maria, eldest daughter of the late Henry E. McManus, Esq., M.D., of Rocknew (sic) County Roscommon. [Belfast Morning News - 10 August 1868]. .. MARRIED 04-Aug-1868, at RATHCLYNE/CASHEL Church of Ireland: Richard Lynden of RACKNOON, Killashee, DRAPER (son of John Lynden FARMER) to Anne Mary McManus of BALLYCLARE, Lanesboro; DRAPER; dau. of Henry McManus MEDICAL DOCTOR.
By 1901, Shanballymore was home to only 2 families, both RC, and living in 2-room 2nd class thatch houses, only one of which is still extant (in ruin). Kilnacloghy in 1901, had only one 3-room 2nd class thatch house. So, the slated gentleman's house advertised at Rockwood (possibly the northernmost property plantation at Shanballymore recorded in the 1837 OS 6" map) was certainly no longer extant by 1901.
In 1908 Rockwood Bridge near Clonadra was mentioned in the road repair plans.
Today this small by-road is known as "the line into Rockwood".
[Research by Rua Mac Diarmada]