Ross and Co. Cabinet Makers – were one of the most important makers of campaign furniture (designed to pack/ fold for travel) in Victorian Dublin.
The company E. Ross at 6 Ellis Quay was founded by Eleanor Ross circa 1790. It was also known as "Ross E. Army Furniture Warehouse" in the 1820s.
Ross & Co. remained on Ellis quay expanding their shop to encompass numbers 5 and 11. A considerable portion of their workshop on Ellis Quay was consumed by fire in February 1847.
ANOTHER FIRE [Freeman's Journal - Monday 15 February 1847]
On the same morning, another fire broke out in the workshop and stores of Mrs Ross, situate at the rere of her house, No. 9, Ellis'-quay. Mrs Ross carries on the business of a cabinetmaker and upholsterer, and there was upwards of £700 worth of property on the premises at the time the fire was discovered, which was about one o'clock, as constable 155D was on his rounds. On the alarm being given, Mr Superintendant Selwood, with his inspectors and a large force of men, were promptly in attendance. There was a very good supply of water, and the police engine, with the St. Paul's, Michan's, the Sun, the West of England, and National Insurance Companies engines were very soon in attendance, and played on the fire with such effect that the flames were reduced and confined to the premises alone. There was about £200 worth of property, exclusive of the premises, destroyed, and the property was only covered to the amount of £50 insurance the premises were not insured. The loss must be severely felt, not only by Mrs. Ross, but by the workmen who were employed by her, and such a loss at the present season of distress and inclemency must place many families under severe privations. The police and firemen are spoken of in deserved terms of praise. It is but just to remark that since the introduction of the fire plugs, invented by Mr. Alderman Gavin, their complete superiority have been tested, and but for the plentiful supply of water afforded by them, much more property would have been destroyed-for where fires did unhappily occur, the devouring element in all cases were either checked or confined solely to the premises where such originated, owing to the plentiful supply of water from the plugs.
They later also had a factory at 35 Tighe Street (now Benburb Street). Both locations being convenient to the Royal Barracks (now Collins Barracks Museum).