The church is located on Sandford road, south east of the village of Ranelagh at the junction with Marlborough Road.
The original church was built 1826, with funds provided by Irishman George Sandford esq., who at the time was living in Somerset. The church was assigned a district from the adjacent parishes of St. Peter and Donnybrook (St. Mary) in 1858.
Various improvements were carried out over the years, including new galleries in 1880, in 1921 a window by Harry Clarke was added.
The church is located in Cullenswood townland, St. Peter's civil parish, county Dublin, and is now part of a parish group with St Philip's Milltown (Temple Road)
The early incumbents for the parish :
1825-1858 Henry Irwin
1858-1873 William Pakenham Walsh
1873-1878 Ambrose Lawson
1878-1921 Thomas Good
1921- William Nesbitt Nelson Harvey