The Schull (sometimes called Skull) Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1849. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £7,115. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Schull Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballybane, Ballydehob, Coolagh, Crookhaven, Dunbeacon, Dunmanus, Goleen, Kilmoe, Lowerton, Skull, and Toormore.
The Schull Workhouse was burned in 1921 by Irish Republican forces.
All that now remains of the Schull Workhouse are a few overgrown ruins.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|