The Navigation House was built by the Shannon Commissioners in 1890 in the hopes of opening up the Shannon for commercial trade links. Unfortunately the inland waterways of Ireland never really unlocked their full potential as the introduction of the railway system in the mid 19th century made them obsolete.
It is situated on the western bank of the River Shannon next to the Shannon Navigation Lock.
It is thought that the building was constructed on the site of a pre-existing lock-keepers house.
The Shannon Navigation House has been maintained to an excellent standard.
|Inventory of Architectural Heritage||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|