The Shillelagh Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,300. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 400 inmates. The Shillelagh Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aghold, Ballingate, Ballinglen, Ballybeg, Carnew, Coolballintaggart, Coolboy, Coollattin, Cronolea, Kilballyowen, Killimere, Kilpipe, Munny, Rath, Shillelagh, and Tineheley in Co. Wicklow, and Clonegal, Clonmore, and Hacketstown in Co. Carlow.
The Shillelagh Workhouse buildings have been completely demolished. The site is now occupied by a modern graveyard.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wicklow Family History Centre||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Workhouse Registers||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|