The Sligo Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £11,000. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,200 inmates. The Sligo Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballintogher, Ballymote, Ballynakill, Ballysadare, Carly, Carney, Cliffony, Cloonacool, Cloonaghill, Coolaney, Coolooney, Dromard, Drumcliff, Drumfin, Lissadill, Kilmacowen, Knocknarea, Riverstown, Rossinver, Skree, Sligo, Templeboy, and Tobercurry.
In 1922, after the formation of the Irish Free State, the Sligo Workhouse was repurposed as the county home. Today it is called St John's Community Hospital with very few of the original features surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Sligo Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|