A good account by Dr Martin Newell of the fundraising, construction, and subsequent history of the church is available at http://annaghdownheritage.ie/st-brendans-church-by-the-lake-annaghdown/.
On Sunday last the ceremony of dedicating the new church at Annadown was carried out with great stateliness and pomp...
- Tuam Herald, 18 July 1903
The construction of Annaghdown Church (St Brendan's Church by the Lake) was commenced in early 1900 and the dedication was performed by Most Rev. Dr John Healy, Archbishop of Tuam, in July 1903. It was built by a Mr Nee of Roundstone, and designed by a Mr Hamilton, architect, of Galway. Extensive fundraising took place both locally and amongst Galway natives in the United States.
The church was almost completely destroyed by fire on the night of 1 December 1936, following which it was restored and extended.