St Eugene's Cathedral

TemplemoreCounty Derry

Share This:
St Eugene's Cathedral

St Eugene's Cathedral is located in the civil parish of Templemore in County Derry

Construction of the Cathedral began in 1849 after nine years of fundraising both in Ireland and America. Up until the Roman Catholic Relief Act of 1829, members of the Catholic faith were not permitted to have a cathedral in the city of Derry. 

The Cathedral as designed by architect James Joseph McCarthy in the Neo-Gothic style. 

The Cathedral was officiall opened for service on the 4th of May 1873. 

St Eugene's Cathedral has seen a number of additions over the years as more funds have become available to add to the decorative nature of the builiding. It has, however, maintained its original style. 

The Cathedral has been maintained to an excellent standard and is still in use for religious service today. 

References

Cathedral Website Northern Ireland. Great Britain. VIEW SOURCE

Type of buiding:

Church

Communities Associated with this Building