St Peter's Orphan Society was founded in July 1817 by the reception of one deserted infant. It was attached to the Calced Carmelites in Cuffe Lane, off French St.
By 1825, it had fostered 58 orphan children of both sexes (non-denominational), had a schoolhouse at 22 Charlemont Street, and had its committee room at No. 6 Cuffe lane. The society, saw to it that the children were fed, clothed, lodged, carefully educated (with a view to being apprenticed out) their morals watched over, and the health of each diligently attended to.
- Its Guardians were: the Rev. John Spratt; the Rev. Fr. Flynn; the Rev. Fr O'Hanlon; the Rev. Fr. Kenrick; the Rev. Fr. Smith; the Rev. Fr. Whelan; Mr Cornelious Meaghar of Mount Street (president); Mr John McCormack of King Street (VP) and William Kennedy (secretary).
By 1827 it was attached to the newly-built RC church of Mountcarmel at Whitefriar Street. In 1837, there were two day-schools at Whitefriar Street as well as at Cuffe Lane and hatch Street. By 1847, it had a schoolhouse at 51 Aungier Street.
By 1847, more than 200 orphans had been cared for. Its Patron was the Most Rev. Dr Murray, Archbishop of Dublin and its guardians inckkuded the Rev. William Stafford PP Rathmines; the Rev. Nicholas Roach, Rathmines; the Rev. John Spratt Carmelite Convent Aungier St; and the Rev. Fr O'Hanlon, Clarendon street.
Its only means of support was a weekly penny subscription supported by an annual charity sermon.
|Dublin Almanac 1847||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|