St. Werburgh's Church is located in Werburgh Street, close to Dublin Castle. It a Church of Ireland place of worship.
- It was named after St. Werburgh, abbess of Ely and patron saint of Chester.
The original church on this site was built in 1178, shortly after the arrival of the Anglo-Normans in the city.
The current building was constructed in 1719.
Beneath the church, are 27 vaults (reserved for the rectors) reached by steps near the chancel. Here, Lord Edward Fitzgerald’s body is interred.
At the rear of St Werburgh’s Church is a small graveyard with about 200 headstones. It contains a Guinness family vault.
The burial books listed on irishgenealogy.ie contain over 5,000 names (the earliest dating back to 1703).
|St Werburgh’s Graveyard||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|IRISH TIMES The rise and fall of St Werburgh’s||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|