St.Colman’s Church in Kilcolman.
The church in Kilcolman was built under the leadership of Fr Jeremiah Murphy P.P. with the foundation stone for the Church being laid on the 10th of August 1913 by Bishop O”Dwyer. According to the inscription on the foundation stone, the builder was John Ryan & Sons and the architect was Brian Sheehy. Kilcolman church was dedicated to the patron Saint Colman. All of the material for the church was brought by train to Ardagh and then transported to Kilcolman by horse and cart.
As you enter the church, there are two beautiful stained glass windows that depict both St. Ita and St. Colman. The water font in the church dates from 1746 and the inscription bears Maurice Rahilly's name. To the right of the main altar in the church, there is an altar and statue to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and a statue to the Little Flower. Further more to the left of the main altar, there is a statue and altar to the Sacred Heart. There is also a statue dedicated to St. Theresa.
The stained-glass window behind the main altar in the church was given by the ladies of parish. The window is divided into three sections that depict (from left to right) the Little Flower, Sacred Heart and Mary.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
John Casey P.P.
Died 24 January 1966
Michael Kelly P.P.
Died 5 September 1988, aged 82
Canon John K. Fitzgerald P.P.
7 November 1912, aged 78
William O'Connell P.P.
Died 26 March 1971
Fr Darby Egan built the church in Kilcolman in 1827 that stood on the site of the present church. The wooden altar from this church is in the sacristy of the present-day church.
There are also church ruins in Kilcolman graveyard across the road from the present-day church. This church is first mentioned in records as being from 1253 when the monks and abbots of Athassel Abbey in Tipperary repaired it. The abbey housed an order of Augustinian monks. The church was destroyed in a war of 1641. A plaque was erected in November 1999 to commemorate the priests and monks who served the area during the years from the early 13th century to 1641.
Part of the grounds of the old Kilcolman church is now used as a graveyard and some of the headstones date back to before the nineteenth century. The oldest headstone that we came across was from February 1st 1767 in memory of Jeremiah Shea. Mass is held in the graveyard each November for the souls of the dead. The graveyard in Kilcolman was recently extended with the addition of a new section.
LOCAL MASS TIMES:
Beautiful Photo of St. Colman's Church, courtesy of: Bridie Murphy Photography
Shared on irelandxo.com by: