The Strabane Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,240. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Strabane Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Altaclady, Ballymagorry, Ballyneaner, Barron's Court, Caums, Church Lands, Douglas Burn, Dunnalong, Dunnamanagh, Glenmornan, Mountcastle, Newtown Stewart, Strabane, and East Urney in Co. Tyrone, and Castle Finn, Cloghard, Conleigh, Feddyglass, Figgart, Raphoe, St Johnstown, Treantamucklagh, and West Urney in Co. Donegal.
In 1922 there was a failed attempt by the IRA to burn down the Strabane Workhouse. The intention, as with the burning of many Workhouses further south, was to prevent the buildings from being used by the British military.
The Strabane Workhouse has been paritally repurposed as the Strabane District Hospital with some of the original buildings still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|