The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Strokestown Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £7,575. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 756 in its fist year of operation. The Strokestown Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Annagmore, Ballygarden, Bumlin, Cloonfinlough, Cloonyquin, Creeve, Cregga, Elia, Elphin, Kilglass, Killavackan, Killukin, Lissonuffy, Ogulla, Roosky, Rossmore, Strokestown, Tarmonbarry, and Tulsk.
The Strokestown Workhouse was closed in 1920 and demolished shortly afterwards, and all that remains now is an archaeological feature (a mound) which was used as a burial ground.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|