Sweny's Chemist is located in Dublin's city centre.
It was established in 1847 as a GP office with a chemist being added at a later date.
Today the building is occupied by a second-hand book shop, but it still retains elements of the Chemist and has become a shrine to James Joyce and the Dublin of his great novel Ulysses. This is because the main character of the great Irish masterpiece, Leopold Bloom, visits the Chemist to buy a bar of lemony soap. The shop is described in great detail in the novel and is now an important stop on any Joyce lover's visit to Dublin.