The building in which the college is housed was once called Richmond Barracks.
It was built after the 1798 Rebellion to accommodate 1,000 officers.
The building consists of a three storey structure on a H-shaped plan.
Richmond Barracks was converted into the Garda Síochána Training College in 1963, and it accepted its first recruits a year later.
The Garda Síochána Training College at Templemore is the only place in Ireland where Garda recruits are trained. The process takes 2 years at the end of which graduates receive a B.A. in Police Studies.
|Inventory of Architectural Heritage||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|