The church was built in 1856 by Fr. T. Shannon P.P., Gort. The windows are unusual in being cut in a different style, each representing a period of Gothic architecture. A belfry was added in 1925.
Hurricane Debbie caused major damage to the church on 16th September 1961. During reconstruction the pitch of the roof was lowered. A new porch including a baptistry was added. George Campbell was the artist for the glass etching over the main door and also for the stained glass window, The Sower.George Walsh was the artist for the Holy Family and Kilmacduagh windows.