Tintern Abbey

New RossCounty Wexford

Share This:
Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey is located in Saltmills, New Ross, in County Wexford. 

It was founded as a home for the Cistercian Order in the year 1200 by the First Earl of Pembroke, William Marshall the Elder. The first occupants were monks from the Tintern Major Abbey in Wales. Over the centuries it grew to be an incredible power in Ireland. It's lands continued to extend and at one stage the Abbots of Tintern held a seat in parliament.

The remaining buildings of the Abbey include the Nave, Chancel, Tower, Chapel, and Cloister.

Tintern Abbey remained a great power until 1536 when it was disolved by the English King Henry VIII. It then came into the posession of the Colclough family who converted it to a residential property and held it until the 1950s. The Abbey and its grounds are now under the protection of the OPW and are open to the public for tours. 

References

Discovery Programme Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Tourist Information Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Tourist Information Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Religious Institution

Communities Associated with this Building

Timeline Events Associated with this Building