Tintern Abbey was a Cistercian monastery founded c. 1200 by William, Earl Marshal, Earl of Pembroke on lands held through his marriage to Isabella de Clare. The abbey was established as a daughter-house of Tintern Abbey in Wales.
At the dissolution of the monasteries the abbey was granted to Sir James Croft and later in the 16th to the Colclough family (pronounced 'Coke lee'), soon after parts of the Abbey were converted into living quarters, further adaptations took place over the centuries.
The Abbey was donated to the the Irish State in the 1960s.
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building