The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Tipperary Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £7,350. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 2,514 in 1849.
The Tipperary Workhouse was built to accommodate people from the areas of Bansha, Bruis, Clonbeg, Cordangan, Cullen, Donohill, Emly, Golden, Kiladriff, Kilfeacle, Lattin, Rathliney, Shronehill, Sollohead, Tipperary, and Toem in Co. Tipperary, and Doon, Grean, Kilreely, and Ulla in Co. Limerick.
In the 1860s the Tipperary Workhouse was temporarily used as a military base.
Image: Tipperary Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)
Some of the records of Tipperary Workhouse are available online at http://tipperarystudies.ie/