Todd Burn’s Department Store on the corner of Mary Street and Jervis Street was a bustling enterprise on Dublin's northside. Following a fire which destroyed the original Todd Burns building in January 1902 (built 1859), architect William Mitchel was engaged to design this newer "Palatial Dublin Warehouse" which opened in 1905. It was constructed by Messrs. H. & J. Martin, with Messrs. J. & P. Good of Great Brunswick Street laying the foundations.
The 2 top floors (of 4) were used for residential purposes with Todd Burns retailing from the lower floors and basement.
In the 1950s, John McGuire Limited which took over the Todd Burns store in Mary St, Dublin and renamed it Todco. John McGuire (1929-2000) of Newtown Park House, Blackrock, was also a director of Brown Thomas at that time.
In 1969, we know this building as Pennys of Henry Street (although technically it stands on Mary Street near the henry Street entrance). In 2003, Penneys bought the neighbouring Nos. 45-46, along with adjacent shops, and built a department store on the demolished buildings.
- On the Mary Street side of Pennys, a plaque marks the location of Ireland's first cinema – the Volta Electric Theatre – opened by James Joyce in 1909 (then next-door to Burn's at No. 45).
- On the Jervis Street side of Pennys, a plaque marks the birthplace and home of Dublin historian Sir John T Gilbert (1829-1898) who wrote A History of the City of Dublin in 1861.
Today its ornate copper dome in this illustration is bright green in colour.
Did your ancestor work or live here?
|NIAH: Penny's Jervis Shopping Centre||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|