The Tralee Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1844 at a cost of £10,200. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,000 inmates. The Tralee Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballinacourty, Ballincushane, Ballinvoher, Ballyduffe, Ballymacelligott, Brosna, Castlegregory, Castlemain, Castle Island, Dingle, Dunorlin, Dunquin, Kilgarrylander, Kilgobbin, Kilquane, Minard, Tralee, and Ventry.
The Tralee Workhouse was repurposed as the County Hospital. It was closed in the 1980s.
The Tralee Workhouse site is now occupied by the County Council offices with a number of the original buildings still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|