The Trim Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,790. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Trim Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Athboy, Gallow, Galtrim, Kilcooly, Kildalkey, Killaconican, Killyon, Laracor, Rathcore, Rathmoylon, and Trim.
The Trim Workhouse site is now occupied by St Joseph's Hospital with a number of original buildings still survivng.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Meath Local History Resources||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|