The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Tuam Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1846 at a cost of £8,100. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 2,368 in 1849. The Tuam Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbey, Annaghdown, Cummer, Claretuam, Clonbern, Donaghpatrick, Dunmore, Headford, Kilbannon, Killererin, Liskeevy, Monivea, and Tuam.
Today a housing state stands on the site of the Tuam Workhouse
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|