The Wexford Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,900. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Wexford Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ambrosetown, Ardcolm, Bannow, Kilpatrick, Killurin, Kilmore, lady's Island, Mayglass, Mulrankin, Roslare, Rathaspick, Tacumpshin, Taghmon, and Wexford.
The Wexford Workhouse site is now occupied by the Wexford General Hospital. Many of the original buildings are still standing, though not currently in use as part of the hospital complex.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wexford Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|