Situated on the corner between the Square and Chapel Lane, Whelan's was originally Hannigan's Hotel in the 1800s, until it was bought by the Sisters of Mercy in 1883, who moved from Myrtle House because they needed more space. This caused some confusion, since many visitors continued to think it was a hotel, until they saw the nuns inside. A basket maker came to the house on one occasion, asking if the mistress would like to buy a cradle. Another time, a woman walked in and tried to order a drink. In 1885, the nuns inherited the Parochial House and left, though a statue of St. Joseph was found in the rafters in a recent refurbishment of the pub.
Source: Tom Hickey, John Keane and Brian Corry, Stradbally na Déise II (2013), p. 184.
|Description on Buildings of Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|