Woodfort House was built in c.1731 and probably by John Bond who had leased Kilvealaton townland from the Foott family who got it from the Newmans of Newberry Manor. Simeon Marshall who was Surveyor General for Munster married in there in c.1740 and carried out major refurbishment of the property. It changed hands a number of times until Colonel Carrol Leahy acquired it in 1904.He sold it to the Sisters of Saint Francis in 1931 who used it as their first novitiate in Ireland. They were a nursing community and built on extensive hospital and maternity units there.It eventually became a nursing home and was taken over by the Health Service Executive who now run the establishment.The original building is no longer fit for purpose but is used by the HSE for non residential purposes.It is interesting to see the fine statue of Our Lady still on display ,high up on the front facade..
|Archaeological Survey of County Cork||Ireland|