Tí Ard na Coille aka Woodmount House derived its name from the place in which it stood. The original Irish Gaelic name for Woodmount townland was "Ardnakilly" (the mount of the wood). The woods were destroyed by United Irishmen rebels in 1798.
In 1786, Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Lysaght. Weir writes that George Lysaght lived at Woodmount, parish of Kilmanaheen, county Clare, in the late 18th century and that the house and trees were destroyed at the end of the century.
In 1814, Christopher Lysaght occupied the house, and G. F. Lysaght in 1837.
In 1839, Woodmount contained a plantation & an orchard convenient to Woodmount House, which is erected thereon" [Desc. Rem.];
In 1855 [GV] Woodmount House was valued at £6 and occupied by Christopher Lysaght. The owner, George Lysaght held 5 townlands in the parish of Kilcorney, barony of Bureen and also land in the parishes of Kitoraght and Kilmanaheen barony of Corcomroe.
In 1858 George Lysaght advertised Woodmount for sale under the Encumbered Estates Act.
In the 1870s George Lysaght of Rathmines, Dublin, owned 663 acres in county Clare. The estate of George Lysaght and George Lingard Lysaght in the parish of Kilcorney, barony of Burren, amounting to about 700 acres was advertised for sale in November 1877.
In the 1901 Census, Woodmoount House was occupied by Honor Lysaght, with her son-in law, Bryan Coughlan as 'head of family' (m. Barbara Lysaght in 1887). Woodmount was recorded as a 1st class house, with a slated roof, 6 windows to the front, and 8 rooms. The farmyard contained 4 out-buildings, including a stable. By 1911, Woodmount had only 4 windows to the front and had been downgraded as a 2nd class house.
Woodmount later became the home of the Nagle family.
|National Inventory of Architectural Heritage 2003||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|