The Youghal Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened around 1852 at a cost of £8,325. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Youghal Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ardagh, Clonpriest, Kilcronat, Killeagh, Kilmacdonagh, and Youghal in Co. Cork, and Ardmore, Ballyheeny, Clashmore, Glenwilliam, Grallagh, Grange, Kinsalebeg, and Templemichael in Co. Waterford.
The Youghal Workhouse was officially closed in 1922 with it's function being given over to that of cottage hospital.
The Youghal Workhouse has since been demolished and the site is now occupied by housing and the local GAA field.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|