After 8pm on August 21st 1879, Knock was to change forever. This was because a group of men, women and children between the ages of 5 and 27 witnessed the apparition of Our lady, Saint Joseph and Saint John The Evangelist. They appeared at the south gable of the Parish Church. It wasn't until 1936 after a final inquiry that the apparition was recognised and confirmed by details given by surviving witnesses.
Today stands Our Lady of Knock Shrine, conisiting of five churches Apparition Chapel, Parish Church and Basilica where thousands of pilgrims visit every year. The shrine organised Masses daily, pilgrims to the Shrine and anointing of the sick. There are cures associated with the Shrine and pilgrims visit to be cured.