Ardstraw Village in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described by Samuel Lewis in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837.

ARDSTRAW-BRIDGE, a village, in the parish of ARDSTRAW, barony of STRABANE, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Newtown-Stewart: the population is returned with the parish.

This place, formerly Ardsrath, is of high antiquity and is distinguished for its ancient and greatly lay celebrated abbey, noticed in the preceding description of the parish of Ardstraw.

The village is situated on the River Derg, which is here wide and rapid, and red is crossed by an ancient stone bridge of six arches over which the old road from Londonderry to Dublin formerly passed: it contains 32 houses, some of which are well built, but several of them are old and in a neglected state.

There were formerly six fairs held in the village, which were large and well attended, but they have been discontinued for some time.

There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and a public school.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline