Aughrim in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

AUGHRIM, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 1/2 miles (S.) from Carrick-on-Shannon; containing 4537 inhabitants. 

This parish, anciently called 'Tirebrine', is situated on the road from Drumsna to Elphin, and on the river Shannon: it comprises, by the county books, 5535 statute acres, of which 5316 are applotted under the tithe act and are principally under tillage; there are about 130 acres of woodland, besides some small detached tracts of bog and several inferior lakes. There are quarries of excellent limestone for building.

The principal seats are

  • Rockville, the residence of W. Lloyd, Esq. ;
  • Lisadurn, of J. Balfe, Esq. ;
  • Rushhill, of J. Devenish, Esq. ; and
  • Cloonfad, of Martin Brown, Esq.

Petty sessions are held here on alternate Thursdays; and there is a fair at Ardsallagh on the 21st of December.

The living is a vicarage, with the rectory and vicarage of Cloonaff and the vicarage of Killumod episcopally united in 1811, in the diocese of Elphin ; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Tirebrine in the cathedral church of Elphin ; both are in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £190, payable in moieties to the prebendary and the vicar ; and the gross amount of tithes payable to the incumbent is £237. The church is a neat plain building with a small spire, erected in 1744, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £154 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is no glebe-house: the glebe comprises 18 acres 2 roods 25 perch, and is subject to a rent of £15.

The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is situated on the townland of Rodeen.

There are three public schools, in which are 150 boys and 80 girls; and in various other hedge schools are about 270 boys and 130 girls. The ruins of the old church, in which some of the Earls of Roscommon were interred, yet exist.

On the summit of a high hill on the estate of Rockville, which commands extensive views of the surrounding country, is a very large fort, containing in the middle a heap of stones, said to be the place of interment of some native chief. 

A dispensary is maintained by Lord Lorton for the benefit of his tenantry; and another has been lately established at Cootehall, by the exertions of the Messrs. Mulloy, by whom and the other principal landed proprietors it is supported.

Communities Associated with this Timeline