BALLINCALLA, or BALLINCHOLLA, a parish partly in the barony of ROSS, county of GALWAY, but chiefly in that of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. W.) from Ballinrobe on the road to Cong; containing 3031 inhabitants
It comprises 7102 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about one-half of the land is under tillage, one-fourth is pasture, and the remainder waste mountain and bog. A fair is held at Lough Mask on the 20th of September.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kilmolara : the tithes amount to £328. The glebe-house of the union is situated here, and was erected by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £398 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1819 : the glebe comprises 20 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district called the Neale.
There is one pay-school, in which are about 80 males and 15 females.
On the borders of Lough Mask are some remains of an old castle.