Ballyboghill aka Naul aka Damastown in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

BALLYBOGHILL, a parish in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.W. by N.) from Swords, on the road from Dublin, by Naul to Drogheda; containing 664 inhabitants, of which number, 144 are in the village, in which is a station of the constabulary police.

It is a vicarage in the diocese of Dublin, and forms part of the prebend of Clonmethan in the Cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin; the rectory is impropriated in the Crown. The tithes amount to £275 15s., of which £141 is payable to the crown, and £134 15s., to the vicar. The church is in ruins.

In the R.C. divisions, it is in the union or district of Naul, also called Damastown; the chapel is a neat building. A schoolhouse was erected in the village by subscription, and there are two private schools in the parish.