Ballybought in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

BALLYBOUGHT, a parish in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of Dublin, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.W.) from Ballymore-Eustace; containing 207 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the road from Ballymore to Hollywood, and is chiefly under an improving system of tillage and pasturage; it forms part of the lordship and manor of Ballymore.

  • White Lays, is the seat of J. M. Lynch, Esq.

It is a vicarage in the diocese of Dublin, and is one of four which constitute the union of Ballymore; the rectory is appropriate to the treasurership in the Cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin. The tithes amount to £41 3s. 1d., of which £11 18s. 9d., is payable to the treasurer, and £29 4s. 4d., to the vicar. The church is in ruins; and there is neither glebe-house nor glebe.

In the R.C. divisions also, it is included in the union or district of Ballymore. Near Broad Lays is a rath or moat, in which, on its being opened a few years since, was discovered, about twenty feet from the surface, a large, circular flagstone placed over several compartments, each having a small flag at the top and containing ashes and burnt bones.

Near White Lays, there is a circle of large blocks of granite, which must have been brought hither, as there is no granite in the parish; in the centre were several upright stones which have been removed; it is supposed to have been a druidical relic.