Ballycoolin aka Ballycoolane CASTLEKNOCK in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

BALLYCOOLANE, or CLOGHRAN-HIDART, a parish, in the barony of CASTLEKNOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Dublin city ; containing 72 inhabitants. This place, which originally belonged to the priory of All Saints, passed, on the dissolution of that house, with its other possessions, to the mayor and corporation of Dublin.

The gentlemen's seats are

  • Haighfield, the residence of J. Martin, Esq., and
  • Yellow Walls, that of W. Finn, Esq., both commanding fine views of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, with the country adjacent.

Here is a constabulary police station.

The living is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, held with the vicarage of Finglass, and in the patronage of the Archbishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Dublin. There is no church, but the churchyard is still used as a burial-place.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castleknock. There are two pay schools, in which are about 50 children.