Ballyfermot in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

BALLYFERMOT, a parish in the barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Dublin city centre; containing 402 inhabitants. It is intersected on the south side by the Grand Canal and comprises 1178 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3214 per annum. Ballyfermot castle, an ancient building, is now the residence of Capt. Lamplin; the other seats are Johnstown, the residence of T. Daly, Esq.; and Johnstown Lodge, of ??? Place, Esq. An extensive paper-manufactory, belonging to Messrs M'Donnel and Sons, in which from 70-80 persons are generally employed, is carried on at Killeen: the principal kinds made are bank-note paper for the Bank of Ireland, and printing paper for the Dublin newspapers. Within the enclosure of this establishment, which resembles a small town, are dwelling houses for its workmen and their families: the house of the proprietor is pleasantly situated in some tastefully ornamented grounds. There is also in the parish a small manufacture of glue and parchment. It is a rectory in the diocese of Dublin, and is part of the union of Chaplizod: the tithes amount to £130. The church is in ruins. In the Roman Catholic divisions, it is included in the union or district of Lucan, Palmerstown and Clondalkin.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities