Ballyhean aka Ballyhane in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

BALLYHANE, or BALLYHEAN, a parish, in the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4.50 miles (S. by W .) from Castlebar; containing 3734 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the road from Castlebar to Ballinrobe, and is principally under tillage; it contains

  • Kilboyne House, the residence of Sir S. O'Malley, Bart.

Fairs are held on July 4th, and Aug. 20th.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Burriscarra, the church of which, a neat plain edifice, is situated in this parish, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £269 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the tithes amount to £165.

In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Castlebar : the chapel is a good slated building.

At Drumrathcahil is a school of 76 boys and 40 girls ; and there are two pay schools.

At Kinturk are the ruins a fine old castle, formerly one of the residences of Grace O'Malley.

Communities Associated with this Timeline