ANNAGH, or BELTURBET, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER LOUGHTEE, but chiefly in that of TULLAGHGARVEY, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Ballyconnell to Cavan town ; containing, with the greater part of the market and post-town of Belturbet, 12,269 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 19,145 .25 statute acres, of which 12,340 are in Tullaghgarvey; about 16,000 are arable and pasture, 2000 are bog and waste, 300 are woodland, and 200 are common: of its entire area, 14,936 acres are applotted under the tithe act.
The principal seats are
- Castle Saunderson, the residence of A. Saunderson, Esq.;
- Erne Hill, of G. M. Knipe, Esq.;
- Clover Hill, of J. Saunderson, Esq.; and
- Red Hill, of ? White, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of Lord Farnham : the tithes amount to £384. 4s. 7.50d. The church is a handsome edifice, for the repairs and enlargement of which the late Board of First Fruits granted £2600, in 1812 and 1814; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted :£112 for its further repair. The glebe-house was purchased by aid of a loan of £844, in 1810, from the same Board ; the glebe comprises 400 acres. In 1818, forty-seven townlands of the parish were disunited, to form the perpetual cure of Killoughter.
This parish is divided into the two R. C. districts of Annagh West and Annagh East; or Killoughter, the former containing a chapel at Drumalee, and the latter at Red Hill,
There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, one of which belongs to the Primitive class.
A school is supported by the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; and there are schools at Drumlaney, Killoughter, and Drumloor ; also an infants' and two other schools, besides six private pay schools. The ruins of the old church yet exist.